Mike is a Lead Developer with 18 years of experience designing, developing, and delivering websites, web apps, and back-end systems. He is also experienced with leading and mentoring small, local and distributed engineering teams.
Freelance 2002-02-01 —
Design and develop websites and web-based applications for direct clients.
- Developed a REST API, queueing, and real-time messaging system using Node.js and RethinkDB for the #BMO200 fountain, an interactive art installation for BMO's 200th anniversary.
- Developed a custom Shopify theme for a non-profit e-commerce shop promoting anti-bullying.
- Created a real estate listing platform built with the Django web framework.
- Created the MVP web portal and REST API for an automotive maintenance start-up.
Xapo 2017-11-13 — 2020-04-15
Built single-page web applications and back-end services for Bitcoin & FinTech startup.
- Worked efficiently in a 100% remote, distributed engineering team utilizing Slack and video conferencing for communication and JIRA for task and workflow management.
- Built a web dashboard using Next.js and React for third-party providers to review transaction volume, and approve or cancel orders manually.
- Built an OpenID Connect provider for managing authentication and authorization using Django.
- Built various APIs and microservices using Python, Flask, and Amazon SQS task queue.
Arcane 2017-05-01 — 2017-11-10
Lead a team of three developers building websites for marketing and e-commerce.
- Worked with Account Managers, Creative, and SEO/SEM teams to define requirements for small and large budget initiatives.
- Implemented best practices for code style, code review, test-driven development, and continuous integration.
- Used JIRA to plan, track, release, and report on development projects.
- Provided mentorship for junior and intermediate developers.
Globacore 2010-11-08 — 2016-05-06
Architected and developed RESTful APIs and Single Page Applications for managing the content of interactive games and multi-touch apps.
- Worked in cross-discipline teams using a Kanban workflow.
- Lead the architecture and supervised development of a RESTful API and CMS built on Django REST Framework, and AngularJS for a permanent installation at the Visitors' Centre in Fort McMurray, AB.
- Architected and developed a RESTful API and CMS built on Node.js (Express), MongoDB, and AngularJS for a permanent installation at Mercedes-Benz plant in Birmingham, AL.
- Lead initiatives for standardizing code style, continuous integration, and test-driven development best practices.
- Worked with leading brands such as Intel, Honda, Lexus, Volkswagen, Telus, Samsung, IEEE, and Blackberry.
- Installed projects at high-profile tradeshows and conventions around the world.
Trapeze 2009-02-09 — 2010-11-01
Worked in teams using Agile development techniques to develop websites for internationally recognized brands using Django.
- Worked with leading brands such as Kraft Canada, Reebok Hockey, Canadian Tire, and WIND Mobile.
Globacore 2008-08-18 — 2009-02-06
GoodLife Fitness 2005-12-05 — 2008-08-01
Developed and maintained several websites for the company’s online initiatives using ASP.NET and C#.
- Worked with marketing and 3rd party agencies to design and develop the company website.
- Developed monthly email newsletters for 100k+ subscribers
- Worked with 3rd party agencies to design and develop a web-based activity rewards program for the GoodLife Kids Foundation.
Dream Multimedia 2004-04-01 — 2005-09-30
Developed websites and web applications for clients using PHP.
- Worked on a web-based application to manage inventory, accounting, CRM, and payroll using PHP and MySQL.
University of Western Ontario 2000-09-01 — 2003-04-30
Humber College 2003-09-01 — 2004-05-01
EventTech Gold - Best use of Handheld Technology
- Rackspace Cloud
- Digital Ocean
- Amazon Web Services